Monday, April 10, 2006

A chilly BBQ for Kg Victoria


Yes, it was indeed a chilly BBQ for Kampung Victoria, the Malaysian Postgraduate Families community in Victoria. 9 April 2006, 3-4 of Kg Vic's volunteers were already at the BBQ spot at Lake Reserve early in the morning. It was a lovely sight, calm and peace. Not to mention, it was a cold Sunday! But the BBQ plates needs to be cleaned and the benches and tables needs to be 'booked' for the big crowd.

I was one of the later volunteers to arrive. The BBQ plates were already cleaned. It was a couple of guys left as the others had to go back and pick up their families, we started to get the BBQ rolling. The lamb was the first to get sizzled on the hot plate. Since there wasn't anyone there, the lamb cuts were cooked till it's 3/4 ready. When we've got customers, we'll just reheat them. The chicken wings were our next victim.

As time reached 10 am, I had to go back and pick up some sauces and prepare some mash potatoes with brown gravy. Took me about 40 minutes to return back and found that my guest had already arrived. Oh dear! After finished cooking and preparing the mashed potatoes, myself and Ahmad, my eldest were on our way to Lake Reserve. My wife had to stay back as my cheeky daughter, Batrisyia, had chicken pox.

I felt sorry for her as she loves parks and gardens. Everyday the word 'park' will come out of her mouth, it doesn't matter if it rains, hot or cold. Well, we do not want others to get chicken pox so she had to stay home this time.

As for the BBQ, it turned out well. I didn't make a good count but I estimate close to 200 people had attended the event. Thank you to all - contributors, volunteers, marinaters, strategist, operations (BBQ pit cooks - we've got excellent help from the males), guests, mom and daddy, mummy basha and her assistants for handling the kids events and to all that I could not recall.


This would be the last BBQ in Melbourne for me and my family as I'm counting my days till I complete my studies. It has been a pleasure being here.


Thank you to all.



~Re-flectionz of my mind~

3 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Nice work Arief.
    Anonymous said...
    Thanks for all the pix uploaded. A reflective reflection indeed, bro.

    Hope cheeky little Batrisyia is recovering. My salam to Lynnie.
    Anonymous said...
    Excellent account, first party. Since we did not acknowledge and you didn't give a speech that day, we have to hold another one before you return to KL.

Post a Comment